Death toll rises to 25 in South West China earthquake
YINGJIANG, Yunnan, March 11, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — The death toll from an earthquake that hit Yingjiang County in southwest China’s Yunnan Province Thursday noon has risen to 25, local authorities said.
As reported by XINHUA on Friday, so far 250 people are confirmed injured in the 5.8-magnitude earthquake, with 134 in serious condition, the provincial civil affairs department said in a statement late Thursday.
The earthquake has toppled the homes of 1,039 families and left 4,994 others seriously damaged, mainly in the county seat near the border with Myanmar, it said.
The National Committee of Disaster Reduction, Ministry of Civil Affairs and Yunnan’s provincial government have dispatched 9,700 tents, 15,000 quilts, 15,000 clothes and other materials to the quake-hit region. (*)